Chana Aloo Curry (Chickpea Potato Curry)
dinner, goto, indian, vegan, vegetarian
3 tablespoons cooking oil (I used vegetable)
1 large onion, diced (brown, white, or yellow)
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon allspice powder
1 teaspoon nutmeg powder (or 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg) (Note 1)
1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika (can substitute with sweet or ordinary paprika)
2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves (or 3 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves)
1 teaspoon cumin powder
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (Note 2)
1 teaspoon white pepper (or 1/2 teaspoon black pepper)
1 1/2 cups potatoes, cut into 1.2-centimeter/1/2-inch cubes
2 14-ounce/400-gram cans of chickpeas, drained
1 14-ounce/400-gram can of diced tomatoes (Note 3)
2 cups chicken broth/stock
2 scallion/shallot stems, sliced (green and white part)
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped (plus more for garnish) (Note 4)
Salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a large pot or very deep skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add the Flavor Base ingredients and cook for 3 minutes until the onion is translucent.
3. Add the potatoes and cook for a further 2 minutes. If the spices start to stick to the bottom of the pot, add a tiny splash of water.
4. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, and chicken broth. Bring to simmer, then turn down the heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked, and the sauce has thickened.
5. Adjust salt to taste. Stir in the scallions/shallots and parsley.
6. Serve with rice or naan bread.