2 cups (200g) macaroni
50 gms butter
4 Tbsp (35g) flour
2 cups milk
2 knobs butter (for bacon)
2 cups (80g) grated cheese. A tasty one like vesterbotten is good
1 1/2 Tbsp (or more) medium mustard (less if strong)
1 Tbsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
Freshly ground pepper (to taste)
1. Boil macaroni in boiling salted water until al dente - about 12 minutes. Chop and fry the bacon. Melt the 50 gms butter and cook it until it no longer sizzles. Don’t brown.
2. Add flour to butter and cook stirring all the time until it goes frothy. Add milk gradually, stirring, to make a white sauce. Cook 5 minutes. Turn off heat and add the cheese, mixing only a little.
3. Let it melt and mix a little more. Do not boil once the cheese is added.
4. Add the mustard and lemon juice and mix
5. Add the bacon, salt and pepper