3 egg whites
3 tablespoons cold water
1 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
3 teaspoons cornflour (Speisestärke)
Fruit (e.g. kiwifruit & strawberries)
Note: It's important to leave to cool in the oven, because it can collapse if moved!
1. Preheat oven to 150°C. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff.
2. Add water and beat again.
3. Add sugar very gradually while still beating.
4. Slow beater and add vinegar, vanilla and cornflour.
5. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Draw a 22 cm circle on the baking paper.
6. Spread the pavlova to within 2 cm of the edge of the circle, keeping the shape as round and even as possible. Smooth top surface over.
7. Bake pavlova for 45 minutes, then leave to cool in the oven! If you move it while hot/warm, it will collapse!
8. Carefully lift pavlova onto a serving plate. Decorate with whipped cream and fresh fruit.
James: I’ve been having big problems with this, as it always seems to collapse after I take it out of the oven. I need help.